SEDA'S EVS


Hi Everybody! Firstly I should tell you how I decided to apply for the EVS project. Last summer I finished the university. Then I had to choose to start a master program, to start working or to discover a new country and get some new experiences. I chose the last one, because I wanna have new experiences and learn more about different cultures and languages before starting my career. So I searched for lots of projects. The most important thing for me was to find a job which could be close to my profession. Finally I found my project and now I'm working in the nursing home with elders.
It’s been almost three months since I started the project. However I’ve already gotten over experiences, such as new cultures, new friends, new lifestyle, to learn how to cook (actually I’m not still good at it) and more than I could imagine.
My EVS is about working in the nursing home. Actually it’s different from a real nursing home, because elders come there in the morning and they go back home in the evening. They don’t live there. It’s like a kindergarten for elders. The main idea of this kind of nursing home is to improve some skills, read newspapers and books, play games with them in order to make them active in daily life. We think and prepare different kind of activities and exercises for them everyday. When we think and prepare something for them or just take care of them you can see happiness on their faces and that is the biggest motivation for me.
The nursing home is in Bolzano, so I work in Bolzano but I live in Trento. Everyday I travel to Bolzano with Daniel, another volunteer in the nursing home. It has to be like this until January, because in January we’ll move to Bolzano. Before coming here I was thinking it would be quite difficult to travel everyday to another city, but now if I could choose between these two cities, I would prefer to live in Trento, because I'm feeling comfortable and delighted with my friends. I live with Julia, Mako and Gizem. They’re volunteers like me. Although I have to move to Bolzano in January, I think I’m lucky because I met them and I know I have a second home in Trento after January.
Seda Orhan
Trento, Italy