Italian Stereotypes




Six months ago I decided to make an exchange program to Italy. About the country I knew a lot of thing like that it’s stunning with it’s cultural sights and characteristics but one more thing that almost everyone knows about Italy is stereotypes. Stereotypes tell a story. As past of culture, they open up passionate dialogues.
Are the Italians really the way they are portrayed? – It’s really interesting to know.
When it comes to the talking they do it wit gestures – Italians really like to use their hands to communicate just about averything.
Let’s start from the most common stereotype I have ever heard – that Italians are lazy and they like wasting time for nothing. It’s 2 months I've been living here and I can only see how my colleges are busy during their worktime. They never use the social networks, they don’t have time for it. But to be mentioned – I live in Alto Adige, which is North side of the country and maybe that is the reason, but I’m not sure. The thing is that I see how hardworking they are here.
Moreover, I have heard that they like to be late – this is the one more opinion that I don’t share. Here everything happens on time.
Next stereotype which I know is about coffee – that Italians never like the coffee which is not done by Italian and I see It’s true. They have special kind of technics to make perfect coffee.
Like coffee, fashion is wildly popular in Italy. As I can see Italians like to wear high-quality fabrics. Individualism is also valued here and men are not afraid to wear bright colors.
Last but not least, the stereotype that Italians can’t live without pasta – I would say that it’s true and while I’m here neither I can live without pasta – I can eat almost everyday and not get bored. In fact, Italians consume the most pasta in the world, averaging 60 pounds a year for every man, woman, and child in the country.
Thus, Italian stereotypes are partly true, but there is often more to the story. How to get the full picture? Maybe you should live there and as I am here for ten more months, I have a lot of time to see and evaluate more.
Ana Makharashvili
Bolzano, italy