ROXANE'S EVS


The first and the most important thing to know about EVS is that It’s a human adventure!
I graduated as social worker in France and I spent 5 months traveling in Asia last year. After this experiment of back-packing I still wanted to discover a new country with its history and traditions. However, I wanted to work as a social worker. Run the challenge of still traveling and working at the same time with public in need was a good balance for me. That’s why “Casa Lamar” was the perfect place to improve my qualities as a social worker and also to keep discovering a new culture. 
“Casa Lamar” is a kind of home for people with AIDS. The structure proposes an adapted and specific support and solution. All of the residents have different issues and each of them has to struggle with them. Some of the them come to “Casa Lamar” for a determined time, others integrate “Casa Lamar” as their new home. We are there to fight with them! In France this type of structure is quite rare and that’s why it’s interesting for me to be a part of it! My role in this adventure is to propose different activities like playing games, DIY and take the residents to some events like a basketball match, market etc.
EVS is a human adventure because you always meet new people as a resident or as a volunteer. Doing the EVS adventure isn’t just working. It’s also living in another country and learning its language, believes, customs, traditions and habits. 
Currently in Trento we are ten volunteers. I share my apartment with Austrian Daniel and Spanish Borja. But EVS volunteers come from everywhere. So I made new friends from Georgia, Turkey, Germany… It’s a really important part of this trip! Definitely: choosing EVS is being able to take a risk and being ready to take a chance! I’m at the beginning and it’s already a good thing. 
Roxane Bernard
Trento, Italy