Daily Life


Hello everybody!
This text is about my daily life in Italy, I hope you enjoy it!
So, I wake up at 7:30am, piĆ¹ o meno, what is pretty late compared to my standards in Germany.
Since I’m in Italy, I have to have breakfast at least for 30min, otherwise I feel tired and not in form to handle the daily life. That’s another thing that changed, because in Germany I was always late so that I hadn’t enough time to enjoy my coffee in the morning. I really appreciate the change and I have to admit, that for me breakfast is the most important meal now.
After breakfast I usually go to work by bike, except when it doesn't work which happens approximately once a month. Usually I work from 9-12am and from 2-6pm with two exceptions because I have an Italian course twice a week in the morning, so instead of work I go there.
As I said in my last article I work at VKE, an association which works and supports children and young people by giving them space to spend their time. But these places are only opened in the afternoon.
Allora, in the morning we often clean or prepare handicrafts for the afternoon. And in the afternoon we go on with that but in participation with the children and their parents. Besides that, we play active games which are invented by ourselves, to get in contact with everyone who wants to be a part of it. In the beginning it was hard to get really into the games because I had to forget that I’m an adult and I should behave like that. These kinds of games challenge me because I have to play like a child. With that I make it more interesting for everyone around. Furthermore I improve my skills of imagination because it is needed to feel the spirit of the game. I have to accept all the rules and conditions of the game, even if it’s really ridiculous at first, because if I don’t like to play the game, why should the children?
In addition there are possibilities to develop skills in connection with educational theory and pedagogy with your mentors what is really interesting for me, in view of the fact that I start to understand children’s behaviours which were nonsense for me before.
Regarding to the Italian course I have to admit that it is not so good because it’s really slow and I feel like I don’t really progress there. In addition if we want to study faster we’re not allowed to during the course.
On the one hand we learn something of course, but on the other hand we could learn so much more while we spend or waste our time there. So, if I want to improve I have to do it during my working time, my lunchbreak or after, and to be mentioned, most of the time there are a lot of cool things to do which keep me away from studying.
Because of this intensive time in the course, I still have problems with communication in general, but especially with children. I think they are sometimes afraid because they are not used to deal with people who don’t speak their language. For them it’s a totally new experience and I understand their first reaction. The only thing which helps is initiative and patience (and studying).
When I have to communicate with my colleges there are no problems because we either speak in German or in a mixture of German, Italian and French and there are always possibilities to understand each other.
In my free time I spend time with the other European volunteers in Bolzano. I have to mention that the majority is from Germany and for me it is a little bit disappointing because one of the reasons to do a gap year was to get away from German behaviour and lifestyle. But everything has advantages and disadvantages. I have learned a lot about dialects, detailed differences in the German education system and the difference between carnival and ‘Fasching’ for example.
We travel a lot in Alto Adige, the province where we are living, because it is free with our bus/train-tickets. At the weekends we spend our time at places with free entrance, for example the “Long Night of Bolzano Museums” or any strange concert, where the people around are always 20 or 30 years older than us. And sometimes we quit after 10 minutes but at least we were open-minded and tried it. And after everything, our final destination is Picchio the best (and) cheapest bar in Bolzano and drink wine (because beer in Italy tastes like water with some sugar or lemonade in it). 
The mixture  of work and free time makes the life really enjoyable and unique. I learn a lot of stuff the whole day long either about other cultures and languages (especially swearwords) or dealing with people in general. If one wants to live in a peaceful atmosphere, there is the need to talk with the people around you to explain different behaviors, to understand and to respect each other. And that's the reason why I learn more here than in my regular life.
Nina Dentler
Bolzano, Italy