People I take care of


Hello!!
This month I wanna talk about some elderly people at my workplace. All of them are so special and unique but some of them are also funny because they have some behaviours which make them notable.. Well, let’s start with Carla. She is a person who loves to dance more than everyone else. That’s why she always wants to go to the sala where there is the musical threapy almost every afternoon. But the problem is that she tries to go there by telling lies instead of just being honest. She has just one lie which she uses always. She says „I need to go to the toilet“ but everybody knows that after bathroom she just disappears. You can find her in the sala everytime. And she does this every ten minutes, also when there is no musical threaphy. Hence everyday we have this conversation with Carla;
Carla: Che c’é oggi di là? ( What is going on in the sala today?)
Me: Oggi non c’é niente, Carla. (Today there is nothing Carla)
Carla: Vabbe. Io devo andare in bagno per fare pipi. (Ok. I have to go to bathroom to pee.)
Me: Okey Carla ma dopo il bagno vieni qui perché non c‘é niente di là. (Okey Carla but afterwards come back here because there is nothing in the sala.)
Carla: Si si, torno. (Yes yes, I'll be back)
But she never comes back :)) Therefore I have to wait for her in front of the bathroom in order to bring her back to the others in case that she wants to go to the sala. Because if there is no activity in there, she just sits and waits for nothing. Now imagine that every ten minutes. That’s why I have to pay attention to her. But that doesn’t change how sweet she is and I love dancing with her.
Now lets talk about Carmela. She is the oldest in Centro. And she has some rules and you must never break a single one of her rules. If you do, you can see how sweet Carmela suddenly turns to someone who is very angry. Firstly she has a doll and she always takes it with her except some situation. The most important thing is to never touch her doll!! Even if she say so. If you are asking yourself how I got to know this, I accidently did it. (never will I ever again!!). It was like this; one day everyone was in church to pray and I was preparing the tables for lunch. I saw her doll on the table but the problem was that I had to take it from there because I had to prepare all the tables for lunch. Thus I thought I could quickly take it and put it next to her bag. Because if I put it next to her bag she could have thought that it was herself who put it there. Anyway when I held it in my hand, I saw Carmela in front of the bathroom door. She was smiling until she saw the doll in my hand. It was the first time for me when I saw her really angry. I didn’t know what to do. I just put it back on the table. And then my supervisor was also there and she made her calm down. I was lucky because she was there with me. It was my first month in which this happened, so I didn‘t really know anyone, so it was quite awkward. That’s why I didn’t know what to do. Actually now I know what I should do if this ever happened again. But honestly I would prefer to not face this situation ever again. Because she is so cute when she is not angry :).
They have lots of special people like those in the Centro. But I wanna talk about one more sweet person who is not from Centro. She is Natalina and she lives upstairs in the nursing home. (Centro is a little bit different upstairs.) Normally I work in the Centro (not upstairs) but I know lots of elderly people from upstairs from the time I help Fiona (she works upstairs) or when there is musical threaphy in the sala. Anyway, Natalina is as sweet as many other people but the funny part about her is that she uses the word „certo“ (sure) a lot. In addition to that she uses it with a very funny accent and she always uses this word even though it‘s not needed. For example;
Me: Ciao Natalina! Come va? (Hello Natalina! How are you?)
Natalina: Ciao!! Tutto bene grazie. (Hello!! Everything’s good thanks.)
Me: Va bene. (OK.)
Natalina: Si Certoo!! (Yes, Sure!!)
Upps!!
The first time I couldn’t really understand exactly what she meant but now if I can’t hear „certo“ from her, I‘m actually worried if everything‘s o.k. xD … And furthermore I got used to this accent. When I say certo myselfe, I unintentionally I say with the same emphathy like she does.
In fact I have lots of stories about the people I take care of every day. And every little moments is special to me. Furthermore I’m sure, I’ll have so many memorable stories until the end of my EVS.
Ciao!!

Seda Orhan
Bolzano, Italy